Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Start of Something...


My name is Chris Hickey and I am a missionary.

mis·sion·ar·y
n. pl. mis·sion·ar·ies

1. One who is sent on a mission, especially one sent to do religious or charitable work in a territory or foreign country.
2. One who attempts to persuade or convert others to a particular program, doctrine, or set of principles; a propagandist.
(source: thefreedictionary.com) 

I'd like to think that I am of the first definition. However, if you're of the mindset that spreading religion is propaganda, then yeah, I guess I am a propagandist. 

On this blog I will share stories of my adventures with the organization Youth With A Mission (YWAM), the lessons I learn on my adventures, and any other theological musings I may have. The things I write here may not always represent the views of the YWAM staff, but that's okay. It's not their blog.

With YWAM I will be going to San Francisco to learn about mission work in an urban setting. While there I will be doing lots of outreach to the people of The Tenderloin, the most impoverished part of the city. After 3 months in Cali I'll be heading to Rome, Italy (incase you were thinking it might be Rome, Arkansas). I'll be honest, I have no idea what I'll be doing in Rome. This whole adventure is kind of mysterious.

When I'm done with YWAM I intend to continue this blog, because I intend to always be a missionary. Granted, I have no idea what path God will lead me down during my life; I have no solid plans for after this adventure is over. That being said, ALL of God's children are called to bring others to know Christ.

Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and on Earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

Being a missionary isn't a career path. It's not something you have to go to college for. It's an order from the Son of God.

Jesus is saying, "Lead to me all those who want to be loved by Me."

It's kind of a big deal, so get to it.

Come on...it'll be great.

Until next time, here's a puppy.


***

If you want to get in contact with me while I'm away, and you're not my Facebook friend or whatever, email me at  "christopherpaulhickey@yahoo.com".

I'm still in need of money for this trip. I'm not about to put my street address out on the Internet (I'm on to you, you KGB freaks) but I can email you it if you're interested in helping me out. Checks can be made out to YWAM San Francisco or to me. 

The address of the place I'll be staying in San Francisco, incase you want to send me a care package (I like Hershey's milk chocolate bars), is 357 Ellis Street, SF, 94102. 

I appreciate comments of affirmation, but I appreciate questions even more. I'm not super good at knowing what to write about all the time, so ask me specific questions and I will answer them on here. 

I intend to update this blog at least once a week, but I know I'll be really busy, so that might not always happen. I apologize in advance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment